Enabling Find My iPhone
Enabling the new Find My iPhone feature on any iOS devices is very straight forward:
- Upgrade your device to iOS 4.2 (or higher)
- Under Settings, select the Mail, Contacts, Calendars option.
- Select Add Account...
- Select mobileme
- Enter your Apple ID and Password (note: if you have an Apple ID that is not an e-mail address, you must change your Apple ID to be an e-mail address by going appleid.apple.com. It's an easy process, but once you do it make sure to change it in all of your devices and iTunes clients).
- Locate all the devices on a map
- Wipe any of the devices remotely
- Send a text alert
- Send an audible alert, even if the ringer is off
The one drawback is that the device has to be connected to a network to locate it. For example, if you take your iPod touch out of the house and leave it somewhere, you can't locate it unless someone finds it and connects it to a Wi-Fi.
If you haven't enabled this feature, do it before you misplace your phone :-)